What is PEMF therapy and how does it work?

Home Forums Living with Osteoarthritis What is PEMF therapy and how does it work?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paul 1 year ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

amyclarkson
    Participant

I’ve been suffering with Osteoarthritis for years now, and not a lot seems to be helping. It is great to see that you have a strong combination of things that work for you… I have the diet nailed and exercise I think, I’m just missing the PEMF therapy. Please could you let me know how it works?

Paul
    Keymaster

Pulsed ElectroMagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy is a non-invasive, drug-free, pain relief alternative, which can also encourage accelerated healing for injuries and ailments. By aiding the regeneration and energy output of the body’s cells, PEMF can also help to improve your body’s overall performance.

Nothing happens in the body without an electromagnetic exchange between cells; natural electromagnetic energy controls our chemistry. When this energy is disrupted (by something as small as a bruise to an injury, a bad diet, or simply from getting older), our cells are impaired. When your cells aren’t healthy, your body isn’t healthy.

By introducing a complementary electromagnetic field into the body, you can re-establish healthy electromagnetic exchanges. This is why PEMFs are so valuable; they stimulate all levels of the body. The therapy is applied externally and fully penetrates the body, affecting individual cells, tissues, organs and thus the entire body.

There are at least 800 peer-reviewed papers supporting the fact that electrical shock and electrical currents can induce significant acceleration of repair in bone and other tissues (tendon and ligament), but the problem has always come down to two factors; (1) locating the electrodes close enough to the tissues to be stimulated electrically, and (2) the fact that free electrical current follows a random path of least resistance.

PEMF therapy devices solve this by using magnetic fields as opposed to direct electrical fields, additionally covering a larger area of the body. The devices maintain the electrical surface tension of each cell membrane in the body. By maintaining the cell membrane electrical surface tension, blood supply is improved and red blood cells are able to distribute more oxygen around your body, in turn boosting the immune system to stimulate quicker healing. On the whole, improved cell function promotes better performance for the entire body.

Typical therapy consist of 2-3 sessions a day for 8 minutes each time.

Basic principle:
    Whilst you are in chronic pain it is best to try and have 3 sessions per day. Morning, lunch and before bed. When you are in less pain, only 2 sessions are required, in the morning and before bed.

For those using for sports and increased performance, it would be recommended to use the therapy once prior to sport, once immediately after sport and once before bed for maximum recovery and performance during the event. This allows your body to recover quicker allowing you to be back training in less time. During the sporting event your blood system will be maximised to carry oxygen to the areas needed to push us that much further.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.